Social media is no longer the new thing. For must consumers it’s the expected thing. Erik Qualman, author of Socialnomics (Amazon Link) has updated his video Social Media Revolution and recently published Social Media Revolution 2. The statistics listed in the video are evidence how quickly social media has had an effect on society. For example,
From Erik’s Blog:
- Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30-years-old
- 96% of them have joined a social network
- Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
- Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…
- Facebook added over 200 million users in less than a year
- iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- We don’t have a choice on whether we DO social media, the question is how well we DO it.”
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 3rd largest ahead of the United States and only behind China and India.
As you can see, social media isn’t an experiment for the computer geeks. It’s an opportunity for everyone to communicate.